My Doll's B'day was coming, And I wanted to do something which she really likes. After giving some thoughts, decided to make it really special for her. And then my planning started, about a month back. But, nothing was finalized yet. My sweety wanted me to make a cake for her. Well, I am really happy to tell you guys, my little one loves what I cook.. So, she wanted a cake for her B'day made by me... Well, baking a cake was not an issue for me. What real was an issue, what to make??? I thought of making a simple cake with her favorite character But, then you get that in store. So, why to trouble myself... I love cooking... So, I was already planned to make lots of stuffs which included Dahi- Wada, Gulab jamun, Khasta Kachori... the most time taking stuffs. Didn't wanted to omit anything. So, thought of giving a trial and make this cake 1 week before her b'day. Right from Scratch to the end, I mean frosting as well.
It definitely came out good, but while making frosting I didn't realize I added more sugar then it actually required. So, correction to be done in final cake. Did my homework. And got to know where I was lacking. So, here is the final product. This is again the Barbie Doll Cake, with different frosting.
This is the first look of the Cake......
This is the first look of the Cake......
I did lots of research, some by googling, some by books from library and some after talking to couple of baking professionals. There are some common mistakes which we all do, but never realize. So, I will tell you step be step process of how to bake and decorate this cake like a professional, and then you will stop getting cakes from a store, as you realize that you yourself can make what these bakery stores can do...
Ingredients you need to bake a cake-
- Maida/ All Purpose Flour - 1 1/2 large cup
- Baking Soda - 1/2 tsp
- Baking powder- 1 tsp
- Salt - a inch
- Sugar - 3/4 cup
- Cooking Oil - 3/4 cup
- Whipped Cream - 1 cup (since it was a birthday cake, I used it generously, you can reduce it too 1/2 cup)
- Vanilla Essence - 1tsp
- Milk as required
Directions to make a cake -
- In a big bowl, with a wooden spatula mix Maida with Baking Powder, Salt and Baking Soda.
- In another bowl, Mix sugar with cooking oil, whipped cream and Vanilla essence.
- Now, transfer dry mixture slowly to wet mixture, stirring continuously to avoid lumps.
- If the mixture is too hard to stir, add 1/4 cup of milk, and stir. Now, the spatula should be moving easily in the batter.
- Stir for a while, say about 5 minutes. Trick here is move Spatula only in 1 direction.
- Now, preheat the oven at 350 deg for 5 minutes, till you make your baking dish ready.
Ingredients you need to make your baking dish ready -
- Maida/ all Purpose flour - 1 tbsp
- Cooking Oil - 1 tbsp
Equipment's you need -
- Oiling Brush - 1
- Baking Pan of 6 inches - 1
- Baking Pan of 4 inches - 1
Direction to make your baking dish ready -
- By the oiling Brush, brush your pan equally in the base as well as the walls of both the pans.
- Sprinkle 1 tbsp of Maida in 1 pan, and toss the pan side by side, so that Maida reaches to all the portion which is brushed by Oil.
- Transfer the Maida to the other Pan, just by tilting the 1st one to the 2nd one, and then repeat the process of tossing all over the 2nd one.
Process of Baking -
- Now, pour half of the batter, in 1 of the pan, till half full.
- And pour rest batter in 2nd pan.
- Make it a point that batter is not more than half full.
- Place the pans in a preheated oven for 35-40 minutes, till the toothpicks comes out clean.
- Take out the baking dish of the oven, and let it cool for 10 minutes.
- After 10 minutes, transfer the cake on a cooling rack by patting it on the back of the pan. The cake will come out clean.
- Let it cool down for about 4-5 hours.
- Next step starts, only when the cake is completely cooled.
Ingredients of frosting -
- Heavy Whipping Cream - 2 cup
- Sugar - 1/4 cup
Equipment you need -
- Electric beater
Directions to make a frosting -
- Beat the Heavy Whipping Cream, for a minute.
- Add Sugar and again beat for another minute, till you get the peaks. ( Peaks is a point when you pick up the beater it carries the cream in a shape of a Mountain Peak.)
- Transfer 3/4 of the frosting to a frosting bag, with the help of Spatula.
- Use the tip you want to make the design from. Fix it in the top of the frosting bag. Put it in the refrigerator.
- Now, choose the base of your cake and place your 6 inch cake on the base.
- Apply a layer of frosting, all over the top of 6 inch cake
- Now, place the 4 inch cake above the 6 inch cake, in the center.
- Make a hole in the center of the cake, and place your doll in the center.
- Apply the rest of the frosting all over the 2 layered cake.
- When you are done, put the cake in the refrigerator for an hour.
- Take the cake and the frosting bag outside of the refrigerator.
- And start decorating.
- When the frosting is complete, keep it inside the refrigerator for about 4-5 hours to let it set.